For too many years I was just another Hotelier and Restaurateur. I was caught up in so many daily activities that I didn’t have any time lee during the day. But they were not the right ones because “if you don’t understand, either you will not act or you will act badly”. But if you understand you can develop extra revenue for your Hotel or Restaurant directly proportional to the investment made.
And gain that competitive advantage needed to make your business thrive in an increasingly competitive and global market.
I am Giancarlo De Leonardo, a former hotelier and restaurateur and founder of Caro Collega, a community of enlightened Hotel and Restaurant entrepreneurs and managers who care about the hospitality industry and are intent on creating a new generation of industry players: the digitally emancipated ones.
That is why I invest time and resources in outreach activities on this Blog, or on Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, YouTube, in short anywhere there is a chance to intercept a hotelier or restaurateur whom I consider as “lost sheep “to be brought back to a digital fold”. Basically the same situation in which I was until 5 years ago.
In this article you will find explained in “ospitalese,” the language I like to speak because it is understandable to all hoteliers and restaurateurs, some useful information about what an Artificial Intelligence is and how it can impact the Hotel and Restaurant industry.
In particular, we will talk about Google Bard, which is the Artificial Intelligence that Google is developing and about some substantial differences with ChatGPT.
In this article
- What is Artificial Intelligence
- What are the substantial differences between Google Bard and ChatGPT?
What is Artificial Intelligence
Artificial intelligence (AI) is a branch of computer science that studies how to create systems that can think and act like humans. An artificial intelligence (AI) is able to learn from data and experiences, using this information to make decisions and solve problems. In addition, an Artificial Intelligence (AI) is able to adapt to new situations and learn from mistakes.
The fields of application of an Artificial Intelligence (AI) are many including:
- Self-driving cars
- Medical research
Artificial Intelligences (AIs) are becoming increasingly sophisticated and are having a significant impact on our lives. For example, one Artificial Intelligence (AI) is the one used by getcruise.com, the driverless TAXI company I got to experience in October 2022 when I went to Silicon Valley. The future is just around the corner, and there is no point in us pretending otherwise!
Artificial Intelligence is a powerful technology that has the potential to improve our lives in many ways. However, it is important to use Artificial Intelligence (AI) responsibly and ethically. Here are some examples of how A.I. is being used today:
- Robotics: artificial intelligence (AI) is used to create robots that can perform tasks that are dangerous or difficult for humans, such as welding or assembling electronic components. Or undersea or space missions.
- Self-driving cars: Artificial Intelligences (AIs) are used to develop cars that can drive without a human driver
- Medical research: Artificial Intelligences (AIs) are being used to develop new drugs and medical treatments, as well as to diagnose diseases more accurately.
- Finance: Artificial Intelligences (AIs) are used to analyze financial data and make investment decisions.
- Marketing: Artificial Intelligence (AI) is used to create personalized advertisements, as well as to predict market trends. As a result, artificial intelligence is a rapidly evolving technology and its impact on our lives is likely to increase in the coming years.
What are the substantial differences between Google Bard and ChatGPT?
Now that I have told you in general about Artificial Intelligences and their possible applications, I want to introduce you to the two Artificial Intelligences that have been making waves in recent months:
ChatGPT which you may have already heard about since it is the first one to be developed in the world and Bard which follows closely behind but is owned by Google.
These are large language models, but there are some fundamental differences between them.
- Size: here the challenge is based on creating a large language model containing billions of parameters. ChatGPT took an advantage because it was the first to get to the market, but Bard is developed by Google, which has economic resources and a higher level of data.
- Data: Bard is trained on a superior text and code dataset than ChatGPT. This could mean that Bard has a broader knowledge of the world and could generate more creative and engaging text.
- Applications: Bard is designed to be an information and research assistant, while ChatGPT is designed to be a conversational chatbot. This means that Bard is better for answering questions and providing information, while ChatGPT is better for having conversations and generating creative text formats.
- Database: Google Bard relies directly on Google’s network and resources, while ChatGPT uses an internal OpenAI database, the archive of which is current as of September 2021 and fails to meet the latest searches.
- Integration of images: Google Bard can also provide answers in the form of images, being directly connected to the search engine, while ChatGPT only proposes text results.
- Answers: while faced with a query, Google Bard proposes three drafts. At the same time, ChatGPT communicates only one option that can still be regenerated.
Let’s try to clarify the differences with a practical example:
- You are a hotelier and want to get help in writing an integrated marketing plan for your business. In this case you can get help from Bard (indeed, I invite you to do so by going to https://bard.google.com/ and then typing the following command: I am a hotelier from … my hotel is category …. We have No. ….. rooms and our clientele is either travel or business. What do you recommend I do to increase bookings in the next 12 months?);
- You are a hotelier and you want to create a virtual assistant that can complement your guests’ experience and assist them 24/7 in a comprehensive manner and, most importantly, always providing answers pertinent with your thinking. In this case, the power of a conversational chatbot like ChatGPT is more performing. (Imagine providing all your customers with a digital assistant that looks like one of your employees, speaks with his or her voice, translates in real time in all languages and is able to assist a customer 24/7 for 365 days a year);
- If you are a Restaurateur and you want to create an automated responder that can handle the phone calls you receive during service in a way that you don’t lose any business opportunities, you can use ChatGPT (imagine no longer having to answer phone calls about table reservations, shifting arrival times or reservation dates, notices of special requests or food intolerances, because everything would be handled in an automated way by a conversational chatbot that speaks in your voice and tone, in all the languages of the world).
- If you are a Restaurateur and you want to create an editorial plan for your campaigns on Facebook, Instagram or YouTube or TikTok you are better off using BARD which is also updated to 2023 data while ChatGPT is updated to 2021 in the free version and 2022 in the paid version (another use that simplifies the life of your employees and improves their performance. Remember you will first have to set the command i.e. contextualize the request and then you will receive all the necessary suggestions including the photos to be posted for each channel with their texts).
Of course, the subject matter is so vast that I could go on and on about it, but I don’t want to burden you with excessive input, so I invite you to continue following this Blog if you want to get enlightening insights for your own digital empowerment and that of your employees. Also follow me on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube or TikTok.
My goal is to engage with as many people in this industry as possible and design with them the new rules of the industry and the figure of a hospitality entrepreneur and manager able to compete in an increasingly competitive, fast-paced, and digital market.
Article written by Giancarlo De Leonardo, former hotelier and restaurateur, founder of Caro Collega